At Empire Stone, we have a passion for all things related to natural stone. We have been in the stone industry in Calgary for more than 20 years, working with granite, marble, quartz and a number of other natural stone products. We take pride in not only properly installing these products for you, but also ensuring that you are educated in knowing how to maintain it properly so that its beauty can be cherished for a lifetime.
Natural Stone is an excellent investment adding many years of beauty and enjoyment when properly cared for. The following are some simple precautions we recommend to insure your stone remains as beautiful as the day it is installed.
Natural stone has been formed over millions of years. Although we usually think of stone as being “hard”, it is a porous material that can absorb spills and stains if left untreated. Sealing your stone with a quality sealer will prevent most spills from damaging your investment. This should be done every 2-5 years, depending on the “wear & tear” of your surface. Sealing can easily be done at home . Please call us anytime for helpful, friendly advice!
Once sealed properly, your stone is protected against most everyday dirt and spills. Proper cleaning with our specially formulated products designed specifically for natural stone will help the sealant last longer, and keep your stone protected for years and years of enjoyment!
Keeping your stone free of dust and dirt will minimize scratches and wear-patterns that can develop from the everyday use of some natural stone such as marble and limestone. Sweep and dust all natural stone surfaces regularly. DIAMONDS AND OTHER GRANITE (including sand) WILL SCRATCH ALL NATURAL STONE.
Clean your natural stone on a regular basis with warm water and a clean, non-abrasive cloth, sponge, or mop. In addition, using a neutral cleaner specifically formulated for natural stone will help remove soils that normal dusting or damp mopping leave behind. At Empire Stone, we carry a natural stone cleaner and highly recommend it to protect your investment and to keep your stone looking as beautiful as the day it was installed.
Do not use general purpose cleaners or you may damage your stone or the sealer applied. Do not use products that contain lemon, vinegar, or other acids as these may etch the stone surface and damage the polish. Do not use scouring powders or creams; these products contain abrasives that may scratch the surface. Products such as CLR or those that contain bleach should not be used to clean your stone surfaces.
After regular use, your marble countertop will develop its own unique personality since is it especially susceptible to acquiring a patina, in which light spots, streaks or rings that can be felt by hand will develop. This is one of the effects of usage and cannot be undone without the surface being refinished.
If you have a stain in your surface that you are able to identify as having an oil base (from foods like salad and cooking oils or butter), you may be able to remove the stain with an extractor. Please contact us for further information.
- DO use coasters under glasses, especially if the beverage contains alcohol or citrus juices.
- DO use trivets or mats under hot dishes or cookware. Your countertop can take the heat, but your sealant may become dull in the area exposed to the direct heat.
- DO dust countertops, islands, vanities and floors frequently.
- DO blot up spills immediately to minimize permanent damage to the stone.
- DO clean surfaces by wiping with clean water or using a specialized cleaner specifically formulated for natural stone surfaces.
- DON’T use vinegar, bleach, bleach-based products, CLR, ammonia or other general purpose cleaners.
- DON’T use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners, or tub and tile cleaners.
- DON’T use abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers or soft cleansers.